Rule #1 of Mom Club

You know the rules of Fight Club, yes?  Rule #1- Do not talk about Fight Club.  Rule #2- Do not talk about Fight Club.  Well, if you didn't know, now you know {I know you're totally busting out a little Biggie Smalls right now}.  Today I am going to school you on the rules of Mom Club, which are shockingly similar to those of Fight Club--Well, in their redundancy, at least.  Sheesh, 15 months at this mom thing and I've already got it figured out. 

Rule #1- Never Say Never

Rule #2- Never Say Never

You should know that I'm a control freak.  And I have an obsessive-compulsive personality.   And I can be a perfectionist with a lot of things.  When I became pregnant, I had this image of the mom I wanted to be.  How I would parent.  How I would handle certain situations.  What I *would* do.  And HELL no, what I shuddered at and vowed I would never do.  That image I had?  That model mom I wanted to be?  Yeah no. 15 months into this gig and I have probably broken *at least* 187 of the cardinal rules I swore I'd never break. 

What I've learned is that when it comes down to it, this crazy, fun, fulfilling and often overwhelming Mom thing has to be lived, not scripted.  Day to day.  Sometimes hour by hour.  And in this house lately, minute by minute.  Plans change.  Moods swing.  You have to adapt.  Never say never.  Why?  Why is that tiny morsel of information so important that it is the first *and* second rule of Mom Club?  Because at the end of the day, "Whatever works."  You have to do what works best for you.  For your child.  For your family.  And sometimes that means compromising with yourself and negotiating some of those hard and fast "I"ll never's."

I've learned that figuring out how to Mom {totally a verb, right?} often requires that I re-evaluate the beliefs and values I thought were the corner stones of my parenting.  I am evolving everyday as a Mom.  So when I said I'd NEVER give my child fast food and that I'd NEVER let her watch TV before she turns 2 and that I'd NEVER let her eat in front of the TV....I lied. 



Whatever works, right?

1 comment:

  1. She is so adorable!! And I don't have any kids yet but I can definitely see what you mean about never saying never.

    xoxo
    Petchie
    http://itsallofthelittlethings.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS