Since becoming a Stay at Home Mom, I don't experience the impending doom of a coming Monday like I once did when I was working. Similarly, my ache for Friday is surely not as desperate as it once was when I lived for the weekend.
Don't get me wrong, I love me a Friday. Paul is not traveling and is either working from home or at a local branch. Dinner is at a predictable time and is always pizza. Always. Paul and I are in tag team mode for clean-up, bath, and bedtime. So yes, Fridays are glorious and an overall win.
This week was a little different. And before I go any further I seriously want to thank the Big Man upstairs for seeing me through. I'm here. It's Friday. I made it. Dramatic, perhaps. But I speak the truth, people.
This week I had that familiar dread of Monday that is immediately followed by the pleading for the end of the week to arrive. Paul was traveling all. week. long. It might not sound like a huge deal, especially when I am used to him traveling and being gone 3-4 nights a week. But for some reason, this week? This week was different. Let's highlight, shall we?
Paul was away-away. Not just a short drive to Cinci or Cleveland. No, I'm talking Bay Harbor, Michigan. For all you non-Mid-Westerners, that's a good 8 hour drive from Columbus. Naturally, I'd convinced myself that I would have the baby this week because he was so far from home. And that's just the way things often happen in our lives. Not to sound too much like Mel.issa Gor.ga, but THANK YOU, JESUS! I am still with child, and Paul is in transit back to Cbus.
Before the week officially even started, I threw my lower back out on Sunday getting Elena from her crib. Like, couldn't move, bend, sit, stand, walk, or lay down without being in excruciating pain. I've done it before so I knew that I'd be hurting the next few days, at least.
Did I mention I am 36 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow? Yeah, that extra 30 lbs I'm carrying doesn't really favor a bad back too well. I've really felt fairly well this time around. Even being ginormous and even in this heat. Being huge has it's limits with mobility to begin with. And though I pride myself on making a concious effort NOT to waddle, this week I took waddle to a whole new level. Imagine your 80-something year old Great Aunt Maude being 9 months pregnant. And now you know what I looked like. Totting around a toddler.
Ah, yes! We cannot forget that on top of the busted back and gigantic pregnant-ness, I have a two year old. A two year old, who, for the love, is not what I would call easy or laid back. She is awesome, and fun, and loving, and silly, and kind. She has manners and is totally predictable on most fronts, BUT, she is whatever the opposite of laid back is. I can't think of the word. And she is extra "whatever that word is" when Paul is not around.
She freaks if there's a speck of anything, anywhere. Lint on her toes? Forget it. A dangling floret on her piece of broccoli? Ewwww, Mommy. And, common to toddlerhood, she has to do every. single. thing. under the sun herself. I love her fierce independence. I do. But it can be maddening and frustrating at the same time.
"No, I doob it, Mommy. I ba doob iiiiiiiiiitttttt!"
She freaks her shit if I try to help her with anything from getting into the carseat, to stirring her own oatmeal, to closing the gate at the top of the stairs. She wants to do it all. Alllll. And normally, I'm patient and I can marvel at her independence and determination. And I can pick my battles and let her put 3 mismatched bows in her hair or screw the cap back on the water bottle herself. But this week I was dreading the tantrums and the power struggles.
So now, here I am. It's Friday. I made it. I can look back and say that the anticipation of the dreadful week I was sure to have was actually worse than the week itself.
Yes, my back still hurts, but I am looking much more like 30-something pregnant and less like your 80-something year old Aunt Maude.
Yes, I am huge, but thankfully I'm still pregnant and did not go into labor, sans Paul.
And yes, my toddler is still wildly independent, but she bent and compromised with me this week like she knew Mama needed a little extra compliance. Thank you, sweet girl.
And most importantly, I have my husband who will be home tonight to tag team it all with me. Many mothers don't have someone to share the struggle with like I do...running a household and raising a toddler...so for that alone, I'll shut the eff up right now with my bitchfest and thank you all for listening.
I'm off to love on my Friday with my favorite people and hope you all do the same!


No comments:
Post a Comment