Eat your heart out, Picasso

I may just have a little artist on my hands. Coloring has become the latest obsession in our household.

 

Elena knows where the crayons are kept and first thing in the morning, when she wakes up from her nap, and usually when she's eating dinner, she will beg, I mean BEG me for her crayons. And then throw a complete hissy fit if I don't oblige her.




Begging for crayons sounds sort of like "guhhhhhh, guuuuhhhh" with some emphatic pointing and signing "please" over And over. And over. Until I give in and get her the crayons. Really looking forward to some sort of language explosion soon.  "Guuuuuhhh" pretty much means crayons, banana, dog, light...you get the idea.



The crazy thing is, she really colors. Like totally concentrates and gets all close to the coloring book as she "works." She even holds the crayon so precisely and with such purpose. And pens- for the love of God- you cannot use a pen it this girl's presence without her demanding it. I literally have to hide pens. But if she gets her hands on one? She will sit there and scribble away like she's penning the next best seller. 

 

I love it. I mean I was pretty much obsessed with coloring as a kid and still get all sorts of happy over a brand new Crayola 64 pack. Love. Just something about new crayons. I can't be the only one?!?!

I can still remember coloring this Rudolph decoration in Kindergarten. It was just a silly cut out from some oak tag with an X cut through Rudolph's nose- to be put over a doorknob during the holidays. I still have it. #thanksmom. Anyway, point is- I can actually remember choosing the brick red for his nose and the midnight blue for his eyelids. I couldn't read yet, but I knew all the color names by heart. Those colors- all of them really- bring back so many specific memories and emotions for me. Periwinkle, sea green, thistle, raw umber, cornflower. Magenta. Oh Magenta. It was my favorite because, well, it was my sisters favorite.

So, crayons- yeah, we have a history. And I'm a little nerdy and a lot excited that we get to have a future, too. Hoping my little girl continues her love of coloring so this mama can enjoy a new 64 pack every once in a while.



2 comments:

  1. This post is too sweet!! So cute that she puts so much into her "coloring" and enjoys it. I've always been a crayon lover. I had this huge briefcase looking thing full of crayons that stood up ever so beautifully that I lugged around with me as a kid. I surprisingly found it at my mom's house like a month ago and got a bit teary eyed when I saw it. Weird how crayons have that effect on us! hahah I can appreciate a brand new 64 pack as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so adorable!!

    new follower :) joanna-dan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS