Thanksgiving- Done & Done



Linking up with Becky to show and tell our Turkey Day...

With Thanksgiving 2012 in the rear view mirror, I can proudly put a check next to learn to cook a turkey and eat my weight in stuffing and sweet potatoes.  In one sitting.  On multiple occasions.  #leftovers #itswhatsfordinner



Operation Host Thanksgiving in Ohio was a success.  Also a success?  Me gaining the 5 pounds I worked so hard to lose.  All in 4 days.  Damn you, pumpkin pie.  So, it is probably safe to say that I'll be wearing leggings and yoga pants for the foreseeable future.

It was all worth it, though.  The stress of planning, the back and forth to the grocery store because I forgot something I needed {like 5 times}, the lbs I packed on.  All of it.  To be able to sit around the table with people I love, eating good food, laughing, telling stories, reminiscing, giving thanks to Our Father for all of our blessings? That, my friends, is the good life.   And I am grateful.

Elena and her Great Aunt Nancy

Me and my amazing Aunt Charlene...my mom's sister






Elena and her Great Uncle Charlie...Mom's baby bro


As it is on all holidays, the absence of my parents was amplified.  Particularly the absence of my mother, who has only been gone 5 years.  It would be easy for me to forget the holidays now that they are both gone.  They certainly don't feel the same without them.  But it is important for me to carry on with our family traditions, especially now that I have a daughter of my own.  Keeping with tradition helps to keep my parents' legacy alive.  When I reflect on the holidays we shared and the things we did that separated those days from any ordinary day it makes my heart smile.  I want to create those same memories for my child.


And so, when I woke up on Thursday morning before the sun was up, I imagined my mother on dozens of Thanksgivings before me, doing the same.  Setting up shop in the kitchen to chop and boil and baste the morning away, filling the house with comforting and familiar scents.  Preparing to lay out a feast for the people I love.

I took one of her framed pictures and placed it on the counter so she could keep a watchful eye over me in the kitchen.  I talked to her as I prepared the stuffing and just ached for her to be there with me.  In that moment, I gave thanks that, though her time with me was not enough, every second of it was so full and rich with love. And full of tradition.

In keeping with tradition, I stuffed and cooked a turkey just like my Mom, thanks to my aunt who came to visit.  I made potato candy and I stuffed dates just like we have done every year that I can remember.  I kept my mashed potatoes just a little bit lumpy 'cause that's how I like them.  I made green bean casserole, even though it isn't my favorite and kind of grosses me out.  I rocked the candied sweet potatoes and almost shed a tear when they were gone.  Yes!  They are *that* good!  I introduced a new recipe- corn casserole- that wasn't half bad.  I even made my Mom's famous Christmas Morning Monkey Bread, though I can never perfect it like she did.  We rounded out the meal with cranberry sauce and 2 homemade pies--one pumpkin, one apple--baked by my uncle.  It was damn near perfect.

Our Feast


Monkey Bread for breakfast

We acknowledged the people who are no longer with us and gave thanks to the Lord, asking Him to help us do the next best thing in our lives.  It was truly a day to give thanks. 

We said good bye to our family last night {Saturday}.  Our family that so graciously made the long drive from NJ and MD to spend the holiday with us.  It was truly a wonderful time and felt so good to have familiar faces in this new home of ours.  It felt a little more like home today when I woke up---I suppose now that my aunts and uncles and cousin had come and left a little of their love behind.  Elena enjoyed every second of the attention she got.  And my family just ate her up.  I loved sitting back and watching them interact.  She is at such a fun and remarkable age.  Everyone got quite a few laughs from her.

Miller Lites for all!


How else would one eat mashed potatoes?


Unfortunately, I did a terrible job documenting the holiday and our time together.  Probably not one single shot of all of us together.  In fact, probably not even one of half of us together.  Hosting has it's obligations and those seemed to trump manning the camera.  I did manage a few grainy cell phone shots of my first Thanksgiving spread.  And a few of Elena loving up her great aunts and uncles and cousin.  Next time I host, I'll make a point to delegate camera duty.  It beats dish duty!


Hope you all had a fabulous Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a successful Thanksgiving!
    Love monkey bread. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your pictures!
    I'm sure your mom is proud that you are sticking with tradition!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS