This is how we make babies

I actually started my first blog in 2008 to document the beginning of our journey with infertility.  It was a private blog with no followers.  Equal Parts Hope and Faith.  It was really just an online journal to document the pain and frustration that burdened my heart. I deleted it a while back.  All of that emotion and information and research.  I wish I hadn't, but I can be hasty like that on rare occasion. 

I had another blog I started when I learned I was pregnant for the first time, back in February 2010.  I documented everything.  Cycle days.  Protocol.  Doctor appointments.  It was the first space I wrote the words- "I'm Pregnant." 

And then on St. Patrick's Day I learned my pregnancy was no longer viable.  And was told to go home and wait to miscarry.  So I did.  With a hole in my heart.  I never wrote about the miscarriage.  I ended up having to have a D&C on April 6, 2010.  It was a day that breaks my heart over and over.  My baby was a little boy.  He would have been two this month.  I quit blogging while I tried to heal the hole in my heart.  Again, I wish I hadn't.  For me, writing is healing and I should have given a voice to those emotions. 

When I began preparing for my 5th fertility treatment (4 IVF cycles + 1 FET), I decided that I was not going to blog about it.  I can be superstitious and felt that maybe I was jinxing myself, prematurely getting my hopes up.  Sharing too much of what might not be mine to keep.  Ridiculously juvenile thinking in hindsight.  I get that now.

It was a difficult cycle.  I developed severe OHSS and was on bed rest.  I was  pregnant with multiples and lost Baby A at 9 weeks.  Our second angel.  They actually suspect I was pregnant with triplets but the third sac was empty so it was never confirmed. 

I wish that I had blogged during that time.  I wish that I had the foresight to know that this pregnancy was real and would last and would be the one to finally make me a mother.  But I didn't.  I took pictures of my belly every week, documenting a pregnancy I didn't believe was real, but I didn't write about it. I am grateful for those pictures but sad that I didn't capture my pregnancy with words the way I had always dreamed I would. I didn't write in any of the pregnancy journals I received as gifts.  Didn't fill in the pregnancy calendar identical to the one I had been so detailed with for my first pregnancy.  I couldn't shake the feeling that this baby was not guaranteed to be mine until I held her in my arms. 

I suppose that is what happens when you become comfortable and accepting of the struggle.  And I don't mean just infertility.  I have always been a glass half full type of girl despite the hardships I've endured.  But I carefully balance that with always waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

So although I'm not ready to delve into the complexity and severity of our infertility, I do feel that I am ready to make a home for parts of it on this blog.  And I am certainly open to discussing or answering questions if you'd like to direct them to me in an email. 

So that brings me to today.  Where I get to share that we are working on Baby #2.  It sure isn't happening the fun old-fashioned way, but I've grieved that loss already.  It still stings from time to time, but I am ever grateful to modern medicine and all that has enabled Paul and I to become parents.

We have 4 frozen embryos from our last IVF cycle (the one that gave us our miracle, Elena) that are sitting on ice in NJ waiting for us.  We have decided that since we will be home in NJ for the month of December, we will coordinate a Frozen Embryo Transfer with our trip so we can cycle with our beloved fertility clinic. 

I am nervous and anxious and scared and uncertain.  Translation- I am down right panicked.  But excited, hopeful, and positive at the same time.

So yes, friends, this is happening right now.  This is how we make babies. 

Baby making cocktail sprawled out on my mother-in-law's bed...scandalous! 

If you decide that you don't want to follow along as I document this go-around, I understand.  But I'm making no apologies and no hasty blog-deleting decisions, no matter what the outcome.

 I realize that, although infertility doesn't define me or my husband, it is a huge part of our lives.  One that I feel needs to be included and incorporated throughout this blog of mine, as it is still painful and real and present, even now that I have a child. 

Once Upon a Dime is here to stay. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you felt you could write this and share with your readers. The picture of the 'cocktail' truly blows my mind.... You are a strong woman, I can tell that already thought I've just 'met' you :) I look forward to following along and hopefully be an encouragement to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this part of your journey; it is very brave of you! I'm so happy and excited for what is to come...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a new follower but I give you so much credit for the strength you have. Thank you for sharing this time around even through the anxiety, the fear, but also the excitement and the hope.
    Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers. Fingers crossed (and toes and legs etc :) )
    - Sam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - you've been on one heck of a road. People don't realize how long the journey to parenthood can be for some couples. We suffered a loss ourselves, and I know you'll agree that it makes you SO much more appreciative for what you have (and what you have is an adorable baby girl!) Many thoughts and prayers as you try for baby #2!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck! I hope the process goes smoothly for you- I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing about this is therapeutic and I hope all of the best for you! My story isn't as serious as yours (we only had to do clomid) but I did have two MCs and that loss is something that still sticks with me...it is a hard, weird grief, there aren't any words. Tyler also wasn't comfortable with me sharing most of our journey, so my blog is heavily edited, so I definitely will appreciate your honesty, and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me a new follower. Im so glad you shared this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for sharing this. my husband and i have been dealing with infertility for two years and have recently done our third ivf. it is such a hard process and one that I still struggle with the fact that we are in. it's crazy to me that anyone gets pregnant the normal way and so easily. And crazy that although you are on what seems like every medicine possible and everything made to be just as it should, it still doesn't work. Finding people through blogging as been such a blessing to me, as I don't have any close friends that have gone through fertility treatments. I'll be thinking of you these next two weeks and praying for good news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This brought tears to my eyes. I too know the feeling of not wanting to document. I push myself every.single.week. to write something down. I shared it with the world, but it still doesn't feel real. It feels like if I get too excited I will lose it all. I hope all is well with you. I am assuming no news is good news. When are you back in Ohio?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for being so honest and so raw with this post! I am so glad to hear that you are being blessed with Baby #2!!!

    Newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS