Nursing a hangover from the Sunday Night Blues

The weekends are so hard to say goodbye to lately.

I remember as a kid, I'd get that sick feeling in my belly on Sunday night, knowing I had to wake up for school the next morning.  A whole week ahead of waking up early and nights filled with homework.  Once Monday was over and I was in the swing of things, that dreadful feeling disappeared and shelved itself.  At least until the following Sunday night.


As an adult, when I was working full time, it was no different.  After Paul and I would finish up our Sunday night shows, we'd look at each other and grimace--The Sunday Night Blues--time to saddle up for another week of work.  This sort of faded when Elena was born and I became a stay at home mom.  I wasn't worrying about deadlines, grading papers, bulletin boards, my students.  Sure I had other things to worry about, but not having to "clock in" somewhere definitely dialed down my Sunday night anxiety.

I have loved being able to be a stay at home mom.  It is something I never in a million years believed would be possible.  When Paul was offered this promotion---moving us 500+ miles from home---I told him I'd move anywhere to be able to stay home with my baby.  That was and still is the truth.

I love waking up to this sweet face everyday.  Even when I'm hating on a Monday. 


Welp, here I am.  Struggling with this Monday.  Nursing a hangover from the Sunday Night Blues.  They're sort of back.  I suppose it makes sense.  I've been in a state of constant exhaustion and sickness with this pregnancy and have just felt less that good in most aspects. I'm trying really hard not to complain, but this is my little space to be real and tell it like it is.  So to be frank, I feel like shit. 

Even though I may still feel like crap even over the weekend I have one saving grace.  His name is Paul.  Ah yes, my husband.  My husband who travels all week.  Every week.  Monday through Thursday.  So when the weekend rolls around and I know I have an extra set of hands?  Someone to share the load with?  Another adult to talk to?  I want to hold on to the weekend for dear life.  Weekends have become my salvation. Even though we aren't doing anything spectacular.  Just being together.  As a family.  That's what makes my heart feel whole.  So when Monday creeps up on me and I know I'll be left to my own devices as a tired, pukey Mama with a fiercely independent and stubborn little girl...those Sunday Night Blues rear their ugly head. 

I don't know how single moms do it.  I am essentially a single mom in some regard, right?  Monday through Thursday, at least.  And I'm "doing it" I guess, right?  My child is fed, bathed, and loved every day.  So yeah, I am doing it.  I mean, I suppose so, but it's still freaking hard.  Especially when I don't have the energy to be the Mom I want to be.  The Mom I should be for my daughter.  I know this feeling of queasy exhaustion will pass.  It will and this will seem silly.

But I don't want to wait for it to pass.  I want to stop wishing away the week just for the weekend, when I have all this precious time with my crazy toddler sweet little girl.  It's time to stop complaining and put on my big girl britches.  I decided to try and combat my Sunday Night Blues hangover by pushing through the exhaustion. This Monday, today,  I woke up before Elena, who slept until 9:00, bless her heart.  I showered, blow dried my hair, put on make-up, and even dressed in something other than yoga pants.  This is huge, people.  Huge.  I left the house with *both* of us ready at 10:00 and headed to a play date with my Meet Up group at a local Graeter's.

What a difference.  Do I still feel sick and tired?  Yup.  But, I don't feel so depressed about being sick and tired because I didn't just sit around feeling sick and tired.  Make sense?  It was great to be around other people.  Awesome to see some of the new friends I've made.  Fun for Elena to socialize for a change and burn off some energy.

I've realized that despite not wanting to do much of anything, it's necessary.  Even one outing a day.  So, I've committed to story time tomorrow at 10am, a Tumble Tots class Wednesday at 10:45, and a playdate with my playgroup Wednesday afternoon.  Thursday I'll focus on cooking and cleaning for Paul's return home and another great weekend with my family.

And how could Monday *not* be a day to look forward to now that The Bachelor is back??? 

I can't possibly be the only one who gets The Sunday Night blues, can I?  Make a girl feel better and tell me how you cope with them!


2 comments:

  1. Bachelor Monday is my cure for the Sunday night blues too! :) And yeah, making plans for the week, even minor, makes me feel like I have something to look forward to and helps the week go by faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you with the mondays! it is tough! I too have felt so sick and tired and have thought many times, I can't imagine taking care of another child feeling like this - so I think you are amazing!! This week I've finally started to feel a little better - hoping you do soon too!!

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS